Last week a recipe for Grilled Salmon with Quick Blueberry Pan Sauce caught my eye with the pairing of blueberries and fish – a combination I’ve yet to try. As I was rushing out the door for work the other day, I decided it could likewise be an interesting experiment to put my favorite blackberry preserves on a turkey sandwich for lunch. Searching the refrigerator for one more thing to add, I grabbed some basil, put items in baggies and was out the door. I mentioned last week that turkey, a sandwich thin, baby spinach and balsamic are my lunch go-to’s – and adding the blackberry preserves and basil to the sandwich was even better than I imagined. The basil makes the sandwich a standout and leaves me curious what other herbs and types of preserves might also work well.
- Toasting the bread gives the sandwich a firm foundation for all the fillings
- To prepare basil, I roughly julienned 4 leaves with a plastic knife at work
- For Side A (top): I spread 1 plastic spoonful of Maple Grove Balsamic dressing and topped with spinach
- For Side B (bottom): I used a little less than 2 tsp. of Blackberry Preserves, topped with basil, and then the turkey
- For a vegetarian alternative, I think 1-2 slice(s) of swiss cheese – instead of the turkey, would taste great