Those who have dined with me know it is no secret I can be a picky eater. As such, the thought of oatmeal with fruit and nuts on top is the last thing I thought I would ever enjoy. Well, earlier this week, I cracked my own “picky-eating” code when I added some blueberries, banana, and pistachios on my morning oatmeal. I now understand what the hype is about! (How delicious have blueberries been lately!?) This is a quick breakfast and a hearty combination of nutritious ingredients – with varying textures – making it an awesome meal to start the day. I use instant oatmeal, only as I have yet to attempt making it from scratch. And, of course, I measure the toppings.
Notes on the ingredients and process
- 1/3 cup organic blueberries, rinsed
- 5 pistachios, roasted, and either salted or unsalted
- 1/2 medium banana, sliced
- I like Kashi Heart to Heart Oatmeal – Golden Maple (this tends to be the best price at Whole Foods)
- To make: In a cereal bowl, add 2/3 cup hot water to oatmeal and mix. Once oatmeal is made, add toppings and enjoy.