Made these delicious quiches, from Sara and Hugh Forte’s new cookbook, The Sprouted Kitchen, last weekend – hard to believe they are vegan and gluten-free. The straightforward steps worked out perfectly for my schedule, as I prepared the filling the night before our brunch and finished the crust and quiche the next morning. The ingredients were easy to gather – the most unusual for our pantry being the Nutritional Yeast, which I found at Whole Foods (she mentions you can swap it out with Parmesan Cheese, if desired). Because the recipe yields 4 mini-quiches, I made two batches of the recipe, rather than doubling it. The result was savory, filling, and a big hit – just like the book stated. We will definitely be making this again!
- Instead of a yellow onion, I used a sweet onion (my all-time fave)
- I used olive oil in lieu of coconut oil. For the crust, I used 3 1/2 tbsp.
- I found the quiche tins at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Turns out they are the only store that sells them with removable bottoms!
- After I baked for the max cooking time per the recipe, I put under the broiler for 2 minutes, to brown the tops.
- To further ease preparations, I measured the almond meal and fresh chopped rosemary the night before (refrigerating only the rosemary).