Last week, it was pretty cold for Southern California standards, and so it ended up being a “breakfast for dinner” kind of week. We love egg whites in our house, and I might add, I make them pretty well. Of the different combinations we made, this one, with refried black beans, avocado, lime juice, and chopped cilantro was my favorite. I tried to make a crispy corn tortilla, but because ours on hand were of the “fiber & flax” variety, that didn’t really work out to more than a chewy consistency (cutting it was like Cliff cutting into the cake Elvin made Claire on The Cosby Show). Nonetheless, our Friday night dinner was delicious and one we’ll be sure to make again!
- Using fresh eggs for the egg whites, make them turn out a million times more fluffy. I cook them in a non-stick pan with 1/2 tsp. of Earth Balance butter melted. The egg whites cook for about 4-5 minutes, turning off the heat right when they start to firm up, so they cook in the heat of the pan and don’t become tough.
- We use 3 egg whites per person.
- Amy’s Organic Refried Black Beans are delicious! We tried the Whole Foods brand as well – but as Scott says, “it’s like they were just mashed” with the Amy’s brand.
- Each egg white “tostada” had a squeeze of half a lime on top.
- To make the corn tortilla crispy, brush each side of the tortilla with a little olive oil and put in a preheated 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.