Ever since making this chicken last week, I’ve been craving something with spinach and artichokes. After much research, I started to make one of the only recipes I could find that didn’t have dairy (this recipe), only to realize halfway through that we were out of garlic powder (and quinoa). To accomodate for the flavor, I altered the recipe and sauteed the spinach and artichoke with fresh garlic first, rather than adding it in at the end. I also used half the amount of quinoa, since that’s what we had on hand – and used less olive oil. What resulted was the perfect light lunch, that was a hit for the whole family. This is such an easy dish to make, and we’ll definitely be making it again.
SPINACH ARTICHOKE QUINOA
adapted from this recipe
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water
1 cup no-chicken broth (or vegetable broth with no tomato)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped baby spinach (stems removed)
1 can quartered artichokes, chopped small
pinch of fleur de sal
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Rinse quinoa well.
- In a saucepan, combine water, broth and uncooked quinoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat for 13-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. When finished, reduce heat and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saute pan, heat on medium. Add olive oil. When heated, add garlic and cook for about a minute until fragrant. Add spinach and artichokes, sauteeing until spinach is wilted. When it starts to wilt add the pinch of salt.
- Once vegetables are softened to your liking, add quinoa to the saute pan.
- Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.